Monday, October 6, 2008

A week in a malagasy village

So I just got back from my eye opening experience at the village stay. I stayed in a little village 4km from the village of Faux Cap in the Tandroy reigon of Madagascar. There were four houses, each about 10ft by 7 ft and 6 feet tall at the peek. There was Papa, Mama, and their kids and grandkids, ten to fifteen in total. I really liked the family, they were all really sweet. We went to the beach to bathe, worked in the fields, planting sweet potato and watermellon, and helped feed the cattle. There were zebu caddle and chickens running around the lawn all the time, none of which they eat by the way. We had dance time everyday. It was an hour to an hour and a half of Malagasy dance. At first I thought it was rather repetitive but each day more and more people would show up to dance and see us. Eventually we learned more complex moves and I started to really like the dancing. That was definitely a highlight. As for food we at the rice and beans that we brought, plus lots of sweet potato (the malagasy version is not as good as the american version). We would occasionally eat eggs from the chickens. I had a lot of fun with Elizabeth, the other student that I was staying with, we got along very well and have similar academic interests so the academic side of the stay went very smoothly. I really enjoyed learning about the culture and lifestyle of the Tandroy people. Instead of a life based on making money and getting power through material possesions, they collect cattle because the number of cattle that you sacrifice at your funeral determines your status in the afterlife.
I really liked my parrents in the village stay. Mama was very sweet and always smiling. Papa also seemed to be high on lifem grinning from ear to ear when ever we would communicate. It was hard to communicate with them at first but by the end my few words of malagasy, his few words of french and my improved skills at explaining with gestures made things a lot easier. There were also tons of super cute kids in the village, I had some photo shoots with them and one of them tought me some awesome dance moves.
My favortite observation was that everyone in the village only worked 4 to 5 hours a day doing all of the various chores. I am extremely impressed that they still manage to live a subsistance farming life, doing that little work during the day. Granted their diet is not to diverse, eating sweet potato, manioc(nasty chalky potato), corn, milk, eggs, beens, squash and watermellon only. I think it says something true about the value of living simply. There was nothing bogging down their lives and they had plenty of time to spend enjoying eachothers company, dancing, and relaxing. It has allowed them to develop some very rich cultural traditions. It made me think about living more simply back in the USA.

I am loving the comments so keep them comming, I love seeing who is reading the blog.

12 comments:

Kathy B said...

The image of you dancing with the Tandroy in that village makes me smile. We always new you loved to dance, but never imagined this! Stay well. Love Mom

Phil B said...

I can not wait to see the photos

LauraG said...

Working 4-5 hours per day - that's amazing. Living by their priorities I guess.
What' the weather like?

Joseph said...

I know you busted out you MJ moves, the real question is if you busted out you dance shorts?

Maresa Nielson said...

I am so jealous. Ridiculously jealous. I miss you!

Juli said...

It's fun to hear about what you're doing Jeff. I used Google Earth to track your progress which has also been interesting. I'm glad you're enjoying your trip. I showed your blog to Ulysses as well and both of us agree that Madagascar is not the place for us :) I can't wait for you to return so i can see pictures and hear more stories
Love, Juli

MLCB said...

Hi Jeff,

I know I must be hungry because all I can think to say about your post is I've never been able to think it possible to get tired of eating potatoes, but I bet you are! I bet a handful of marshmallows would help ;) (What can I say, it's almost Halloween)

What an adventure you're having and a life-changing one, it seems. Hard to imagine living there and not coming back changed!

Hugs, Lynne

Emily said...

i wish we had the same kind of attitude about working and free time, i just finished a midterm, have to do hours of sculpture, write a paper, go to class, edit papers, read and maybe have time to sleep. thats without having time for dinner. maybe i should move to the malagasy village. or at least you can teach us how to live when you get back. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time Jeff! We'll have you talk at our new Quinby series, "Blow Your Mind 101", when you get back, eh? Take care, and keep the sweet stories coming!

bea said...

I hope I can make this comment go through this time. your stories are wonderful. Sorry I can't send cookies. Seems as if you could use them. Love to you........Gomma

Unknown said...

write mo'.

Shem said...

hey Jeff Bush! loving the blog man! i hate to tell you, but Q-house has gone downhill, it just aint the same anymore. live it up, shem